Tuesday

Homemade Cleaners

So I had coffee with a new friend last night and we were talking about au natural cleaners and I realized when I went home that I've never posted much on the topic. so I thought I'd post a few of the recipes I use around the house!

This is the list of natural ingredients I use to clean, all of them can be found in your regular grocery store. Although for some reason, Washing Soda (Arm & Hammer) I usually find at Albertsons, but the rest I buy in bulk at Smart & Final.
  1. White Vinegar
  2. Baking Soda
  3. Lemon Juice
  4. Borax
  5. Washing Soda
  6. Rubbing Alcohol
  7. Cornstarch
  8. Mineral Oil
  9. Coarse Salt - Sea Salt is great
  10. Toothpaste

If I have a good response to this post, I'll add more recipes and tips!
I'll also post some pics if there's an interest!


Quick General Clean Ups: half vinegar and half water solution
Keep a spray bottle in the kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room.

Disinfectant: 1/2 cup of borax dissolved in one gallon of hot water.
The important part here (that I have had to learn the hard way), is to let it cool completely, and then strain it, before pouring it into a plastic spray bottle (otherwise it clumps).


Floor, Counter, Toilet Cleaner: 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water.
You can also polish linoleum floors with club soda :)
The big question here is, "will my house smell like vinegar, and the answer is no." It may temporarily smell like vinegar while you're cleaning, but your house will not smell. Adding lemon juice to vinegar when cleaning can help neutralize the vinegar smell.

Window Cleaner: One cup cold strong black tea with 3 TBS of vinegar
Pour in spray bottle


Stove and oven cleaner: 2 TBS of baking soda and hot water or you can sprinkle the soda on a damp sponge and wipe.
The issue here that I've had to learn the hard way, is that if you just sprinkle Baking Soda on your stove and start wiping, it takes numerous times to wipe completely smooth and clean and not be filmy; so if you sprinkle directly on the stove top - use very little. Otherwise first put on a damp sponge and scrub! It really works!


Carpet Deodorizer: Mix two parts cornmeal with one part borax.
Sprinkle generously over carpet, wait one hour then vacuum


Deodorize & Clean Garbage Disposal: Freeze Distilled Vinegar into ice cubes
Run several cubes down the disposal while flushing with cold water.

Microwave Cleaning Method: 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar and 1/2 cup water
Pour into a microwave-safe bowl. Bring it to a rolling boil inside the microwave. Baked-on food will be loosened, and odors will disappear. Then you just wipe clean - love it!!

Bleaching Clothes: Lemon Juice
Lemon juice can act as a natural bleaching agent. Squeeze fresh lemon juice onto white linens and/or clothing, then allow them to dry in the sun. Stains will be bleached away, wash as usual!



Some of my recipes come from Tipnut.com, vinegartips.com and Arm & Hammer

No comments:

ShareThis Post with Friends!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin