Monday

A new scrambled egg

The other day I stood with my refrigerator door open wondering what I could make without having to go to the store. It's a fun-sort-of challenge to use up what I have before we go shopping again. Sometimes the meals turn out amazing and go on our list of regulars; other times it's not quite a success, but that's the beauty of the trial and error journey.

So back to my open refrigerator, as I looked inside I noticed we had eggs, tofu, some veggies and other misc. items; not exactly the best combo for an omelet which is what I was craving. So being the learner I am I decided to google the foods I had to see what would come up. And low and behold I found Scrambled Egg with Tofu.

Now wait before you knock it you must try it....or at least read the ingredients.

    • 1 large egg
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
    • Dash of hot sauce, such as Tabasco
    • Pinch of salt
    • Freshly ground pepper to taste
    • 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
    • 2 tablespoons crumbled tofu (silken or regular)

Directions

Blend egg, tarragon, hot sauce, salt and pepper in a small bowl with a fork. Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring, until warmed through, 20 to 30 seconds. Add egg mixture and stir until the egg is set, but still creamy, 20 to 30 seconds. Serve immediately. Recipe courtesy of KitchenDaily.

It was definitely an above average meal even for the hubs, who is an all-cheese man. For this egg dish to be above average and NOT have cheese was a big deal folks! I did however add some leftover bacon pieces we had saved, which added a nice salty crunch to it.

The tofu created a creamy texture but didn't muddle the taste. I trippled the recipe because it's actually a single serving recipe; also, I used Louisianna hot sauce, which is my absolute favorite for any egg dish.

And from watching too much Food Network, I know that if you don't have dried tarragon, you can substitute dried rosemary and dried basil. So the next time you're out of cheese or milk but have eggs and tofu I suggest you give this recipe a try. ;)

No comments:

ShareThis Post with Friends!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin